10 Tips To Protect Your Identity In 2019
It may seem like a constant battle to keep yourself safe from scams, especially in our increasingly digital world. However, there are things you can do to minimize your chances of falling victim to a scam. Here are 10 tips to keep you and your personal information safe in 2019.
Avoid Identity Theft In 2019
- Monitor Your Credit Report
You are entitled to a free credit report from each of the three major credit reporting bureaus annually. Best practice is to check your credit report three times per year, by requesting your report from one credit bureau every four months. Head over to AnnualCreditReport.com to get started.
- Be Careful Of Attachments & Email Links
Avoid opening attachments and clicking on links in emails that you received from an unfamiliar source. Phishing emails are common, and include attachments and links that are malicious.
- Be Mindful Of Public Wi-Fi
Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks to complete online transactions or to view your digital banking accounts. These public networks are a go-to source for hackers.
- File Your Taxes Early
Avoid tax fraud by filing your taxes early. If you receive notice that more than one return was filed in your name, you owe additional taxes, or that records show your earnings were more than the amount of wage reported, complete an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit form 14039, and contact the IRS Protection Specialized Unit right away at 800-908-4490.Create Strong Passwords
- Utilize a strong and unique password for every online account you have. Your passwords should be at least 11 characters in length, and include alpha-numeric characters, and at least one symbol.
- Don’t Wait On Installing System Updates
Make it a habit to install operating system updates on your devices when they are made available. Holding out on installing them could put your device at risk.
- Protect Your Devices
Make sure your home computer and/or laptop is protected with a firewall and antivirus/anti-malware software. Best practice is to configure your antivirus/anti-malware software to automatically check for updates at least once per week.
- Be Careful What You Post On Social Media
Be mindful of the information you share on social networking sites. Openly sharing information on social networks can give scammers the information they need to impersonate you, or answer your password challenge questions. Best practice is to keep your social media accounts private, and be cautious about who you connect with. Never share information pertaining to your bank accounts, transaction history, or any other identifying information on social media.
- Question “Too Good To Be True” Offers
If an offer seems too good to be true it probably is. In addition, be skeptical of offers that require fast action, or try to instill a sense of fear.
- Opt For Multi-Factor Authentication Or Biometrics
Multifactor authentication provides an additional layer of security to your online accounts. It uses more than one authentication method such as a one-time password token, or biometrics to validate your identity. Launch FCU’s mobile app is TouchID-capable. TouchID will not only add a layer of protection to your account, it will also allow you to sign in faster and easier.
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015