Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
The Dos and Don’ts to Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
The quickly approaching holiday season means it’s time to shop for gifts and avoid gift card scams. Many people buy gift cards because holiday shopping turns into a headache.People give, receive, and steal gift cards. Scammers target gift cards because there are multiple ways they can get their hands on the money. Scammers use exposed PINs, fake activation stickers, and gift card exchange sites to steal gift card funds.
According to the National Retail Federation, gift cards were one of the most popular holiday gifts last year, and will continue to be popular this year.
DON’T buy gift cards with exposed/scratched PINs. Scammers go to a store, scratch off the PIN, write it down, and drain the money once it’s activated by a legitimate purchaser.
Do check the activation sticker. Scammers overlay their sticker on the activation, which links to their own site.
DON’T make phone payments to someone asking for gift card payments. For example, don’t pay someone in gift cards who claims to work for the IRS, cellular company, or tech support.
According to the Federal Trade Commission, from January to September 2018, 26% of fraud reports named gift cards/reload cards as their payment method.
DO use password protection if you’re sending an online gift card.This requires the receiver to enter a password to gain access to the gift card information.
DO keep the gift card receipts. This provides proof of the gift card amount and activation.
DO use gift card exchange websites that guarantee money back if you’re scammed. Some exchange sites allow people to send the gift card code and be paid before the site receives the physical card in the mail. Once the balance is confirmed, scammers will spend the gift card balance before the buyer receives the card or code. Raise.com is one site that has a money-back guarantee.
Make sure to read and share these tips with friends and family ahead of Black Friday & Cyber Monday! Happy shopping!
- Surviving A COVID-19 Summer With Kids
- 8 Smart RV Buying Tips
- How To Celebrate The 4th of July Virtually
- 8 Financial Tips For High School Seniors
- 10 Ways to Support Local Businesses
- 9 Tips For Working Remotely
- 6 Ways To Budget During COVID-19
- Struggling To Pay Your Loans? Here’s What To Do
- How To Avoid Coronavirus Scams
- Best Places To Watch A Launch On The Space Coast
- 10 Tips To Prepare For Tax Season
- How To Raise A Money Smart Kid
- How to Avoid Bad Check Scams
- 9 Frugal Family & Date Night Ideas!
- 8 Ways to Jump Start Your 2020 Financial Resolutions
- 8 Easy Ways to Avoid Holiday Travel Stress
- 4 Tips On Snagging a Lower Interest Rate Mortgage
- 7 Tips for Avoid Cyber Criminals on Cyber Monday
- Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
- Make Your Auto Loan Process Seamless: Here’s What You Need to Refinance!
- July 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015