Credit Score 101
What You Need To Know About Credit Score
Your credit score is vital to your future. It can determine your ability to get a loan, and have a lower interest rate on your loan. A low credit score could also impact your future employment, insurance premium, and ability to rent an apartment, condo, or home. FICO scores have a score range of 300 to 850.
What Makes Up A Credit Score?
Your credit score can be a tricky subject to understand. There are specific elements that make up your credit score including:
- Payment History: Do you pay your bills on time?
- Capacity: Do you have available credit, or have you maxed out multiple credit cards?
- Length of Credit History: How long has your credit been in use?
- Types of Credit: This includes installments, and number of finance company loans. The greater the number of finance company loans, the lower the score. That’s why it pays to apply for a credit card or loan with Launch FCU.
- New Credit: Accumulation of debt over the last 12-18 months.
What Affects A Credit Score
- Late payments
- Missing payments all together
- Maxing out multiple lines of credit
- Excessive credit shopping
- Opening mulitple lines of credit in a short amount of time
- Having more revolving loans than installment loans
- Borrowing from finance companies. These commercial finance companies will charge you a higher interest rate than Launch FCU.
What Doesn’t Affect A Credit Score
- Debt ratio
- Length of residence
- Length of employment
How To Improve Your Credit Score
There are several things that you can do to help improve your score over time.
- Pay down on your credit cards
- Make all of your payments on time
- Stop opening multiple credit cards and store credit cards
- Allow yourself time to build credit by acquiring a solid credit history with years of experience
- Move any revolving debt to installment debt
- Request your credit report from the three major credit-reporting agencies: Equifax,Experian, & TransUnion. You are allowed to receive your credit report for free once per year from all three of the major credit-reporting agencies. This will help you to catch any potential errors that could be affecting your score.
At Launch FCU we are dedicated to helping our members go beyond to achieve their financial goals. For more information on how your credit score works, or ways to improve your credit score please visit our website, or give us a call at 321-455-9400 (inside Brevard) or 800-662-5257 (outside Brevard), or visit us at any of our conveniently located branches.
© Copyright 2015 Launch Federal Credit Union. All Rights Reserved
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015