Is A Fixed-Rate Mortgage Right For You?
When you decide to buy a home, there are two primary types of mortgages you could choose: an adjustable rate mortgage or a fixed-rate mortgage. Many people choose to go with a fixed-rate mortgage due to the fact that the interest rate does not change throughout the life of the loan. Fixed-rate mortgages provide homeowners with additional advantages outside of a consistent interest rate. This blog post will help you determine if a fixed-rate mortgage is the right option for you.
What Type Of Borrower Would Benefit From A Fixed-Rate Mortgage?
As stated, interest rates remain constant, meaning there won’t’ be any surprises even if the market changes. Additional reasons you should consider a fixed-rate mortgage include:
- No Pre-Payment Penalties: With a fixed-rate mortgage you are able to make extra payments to shorten your term without obtaining prepayment penalties.
- Shorter Term, Less Interest: If you obtain a fixed-rate mortgage for a shorter term, you will incur less interest over the term of your home loan. Keep in mind if you choose a shorter term, your monthly payments will be higher; however, you will be paying less overall for your home. In addition, shorter terms typically offer lower interest rates, which would allow for a larger amount of principal to be paid off with each mortgage payment. Though you would be paying less overall for your home with a 15-year term than with a 30-year term, you need to determine what makes sense for you, given your current financial situation.
- Your Income Is Steady: If you have predictable income, budgeting will be easier. Knowing that your income will remain about the same, or increase over time will allow you to manage your money better with your monthly mortgage payment in mind.
- Easy To Understand: Fixed-rate mortgages are easy to understand since your rate remains constant. This is especially great for first-time home buyers who could be confused with changes to an adjustable rate mortgage.
- Interest Rates Are Low: If interest rates are low, a fixed-rate mortgage is a great option to lock in your low rate before rates increase again.
- You Plan To Stay In Your Home: If you plan to stay in your home for an extended period of time, a fixed-rate mortgage could be a good option for you.
For an interactive video comparison from Investopedia, click here.
So What’s The Final Verdict?
Fixed-Rate mortgages are great for many people because they are easy to understand, since your interest rate will remain consistent throughout the term of the loan. Before buying a home, make sure to evaluate your current financial situation to determine if it’s the right time for you to buy a home. Tools such as a mortgage calculator or a mortgage payment calculator can help you determine how much home you can afford, as well as what you could expect your monthly payments to be, given your current financial situation. Other tools such as Launch FCU’s mortgage comparison calculator can help you compare up to three different mortgages to find out which one works best for you.
If you have questions regarding mortgages, contact a Launch FCU Home Loan Specialist. We want to help you go beyond and put down roots for less.
© Copyright 2016 Launch Federal Credit Union. All Rights Reserved
- How to Stay Safe on Social Media
- 5 Tips on How You Can Be #CyberAware
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015