Fourth Of July Safety Tips
The Fourth of July is an excellent opportunity to spend quality time with family, enjoy delicious food, and celebrate the independence of our great nation with a neighborhood fireworks display. With the Fourth of July just around the corner, now is an excellent time to review Fourth of July safety tips. This article will help you ensure that your Fourth of July is memorable for all the right reasons. Let’s dive in.
Fireworks Safety Tips
According to an article by the New York Times, in the month around July 4, an average of 230 people per day end up in emergency rooms across the U.S. with fireworks-related injuries. The good news is, there are precautions you can take to protect yourself and your family members from fireworks-related injuries. Here are some suggestions.
- Do not disassemble pre-assembled fireworks, attempt to make your own fireworks, or combine fireworks products.
- Make sure your fireworks are stored correctly and according to the packaged instructions.
- Only light fireworks on flat ground, away from flammable materials, and only in a dry and fire-resistant area.
- Do not light multiple fireworks at the same time.
- Do not point fireworks at yourself or others while you light them.
- Ensure the person lighting the fireworks is equipped with safety glasses and is sober. Keep all spectators at a safe distance from fireworks that are being lit.
- Do not allow young children to handle or light fireworks. Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, along with a hose or bucket in case of a fire or malfunction.
- If a firework malfunctions, do not relight it. Instead, soak it in water and dispose of it.
Grilling Safety Tips
Grilling and the Fourth of July come hand-in-hand. That being said, the most common insurance claim on the Fourth of July is from cooking fires. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more fires are reported on July 4 than any other day of the year. Here are some tips to keep your home and family members safe while grilling out this holiday.
- Keep a three-foot safe zone around your grill. This means keeping your grill at least three feet away from your deck, home, landscaping, or outdoor equipment that could catch fire quickly.
- If you have a gas grill, check the grill hose for cracks, holes, and leaks before using it.
- Never grill indoors, in the garage, or in an enclosed area.
- Keep children and pets away from your grill.
- Avoid loose clothing that can catch fire while cooking.
- Open your gas grill before you light it.
- Remove grease and fat build-up on a regular basis so it cannot be ignited.
Pool Safety Tips
Water sports are a very popular pastime on the Fourth of July; however, water sports have been linked to numerous deaths and injuries each year. The below tips will help you stay safe and keep your loved ones safe while enjoying water activities.
- Monitor young children closely. Never assume someone else is watching the children.
- Do not allow children to enter the water without proper flotation devices.
- Set water safety rules for your family.
- Keep a first aid kit near your pool deck.
- Never swim alone.
- Swim sober. Research has shown that alcohol consumption increases the risk of accidental drowning.
- Apply sunscreen frequently to avoid painful sunburn, sunstroke, or heatstroke.
- Remember to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
Additional Safety Tips
Here are some additional tips to help you experience a safe, fun, and memorable fourth of July.
- Don’t skip out on applying insect repellent.
- Check you and your family members’ prescriptions to make sure you will not experience a sun-sensitizing drug reaction.
- Cover your food and beverages while outdoors to prevent bees and wasps from accidentally being swallowed.
- Use alcohol responsibly.
- Report any illegal explosives to your local police department.
- Use good judgement when boating and always look up water and weather conditions before leaving the house.
- Surviving A COVID-19 Summer With Kids
- 8 Smart RV Buying Tips
- How To Celebrate The 4th of July Virtually
- 8 Financial Tips For High School Seniors
- 10 Ways to Support Local Businesses
- 9 Tips For Working Remotely
- 6 Ways To Budget During COVID-19
- Struggling To Pay Your Loans? Here’s What To Do
- How To Avoid Coronavirus Scams
- Best Places To Watch A Launch On The Space Coast
- 10 Tips To Prepare For Tax Season
- How To Raise A Money Smart Kid
- How to Avoid Bad Check Scams
- 9 Frugal Family & Date Night Ideas!
- 8 Ways to Jump Start Your 2020 Financial Resolutions
- 8 Easy Ways to Avoid Holiday Travel Stress
- 4 Tips On Snagging a Lower Interest Rate Mortgage
- 7 Tips for Avoid Cyber Criminals on Cyber Monday
- Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
- Make Your Auto Loan Process Seamless: Here’s What You Need to Refinance!
- July 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015