How Much Mortgage Can I Afford?
Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases you will ever make in your life time. You may be wondering, how much mortgage can I afford? If you are thinking this, you are on the right track. The first step in becoming a homeowner is determining how much home you can afford. According to Nerd Wallet, there are a few factors that determine how much mortgage you can afford including: income, available funds, expenses, and credit score.
How Much Mortgage Can I Afford? Determining Factors.
- Income: When deciding how much mortgage you can afford you need to take your income into consideration. Your income is the money that you receive on a regular basis either through work or investments. Keep in mind that your income is the actual money that you receive, not what you are expecting to get paid in the future. Using your true income is very important in order to establish a baseline for what you can afford to pay on your mortgage every month.
- Available Funds: You also need to consider the amount of money you have available for closing costs and for a down payment. These two elements are often times overlooked when determining how much home one can afford.
- Expenses: Before deciding how much mortgage you can afford, sit down and think about all of your other monthly expenses. It is very important that you do not forget about other financial obligations when deciding how much home you can afford.
- Credit Score: Your credit score impacts your ability to get a mortgage loan, as well as the rate that you will pay. The higher your credit score, the better rate you will be able to get.
CNN Money advises that in order to arrive at a home price that is affordable, your total debt payments should not be more than 36% of your gross income. According to CNN Money, this guideline has historically shown what the majority of borrowers can comfortably repay each month.
Use A Mortgage Calculator
So now that you know the elements that help you determine how much mortgage you can afford, utilize a tool such as a mortgage affordability calculator. Launch FCU offers a few mortgage affordability calculators to help you determine just how much home you can afford, and how much you can expect your monthly payments to be.
- How Much Home Can I Afford?: This calculator helps to determine how much mortgage you can afford by taking your income, monthly debts, mortgage information such as annual interest rate you wish to pay, loan term (years), estimated yearly property taxes, and estimated yearly property insurance.
- Mortgage Payment Calculator: You can use this calculator to help you come up with an estimated monthly mortgage payment based upon information that you provide to the calculator.
Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases you will make in your life. Knowing what you can afford before you apply will make the process much easier. In addition, make sure to do adequate research on the area that you want to live in. Buying a home is a long-term commitment. It isn’t as easy to pick up and move if you do not like the area. Remember, we are here to help every step of the way. Our goal is to help you unlock doors to your future for less.
© Copyright 2016 Launch Federal Credit Union. All Rights Reserved
- Best Places To Watch A Launch On The Space Coast
- 10 Tips To Prepare For Tax Season
- How To Raise A Money Smart Kid
- How to Avoid Bad Check Scams
- 9 Frugal Family & Date Night Ideas!
- 8 Ways to Jump Start Your 2020 Financial Resolutions
- 8 Easy Ways to Avoid Holiday Travel Stress
- 4 Tips On Snagging a Lower Interest Rate Mortgage
- 7 Tips for Avoid Cyber Criminals on Cyber Monday
- Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
- Make Your Auto Loan Process Seamless: Here’s What You Need to Refinance!
- If It Connects, Protect It: Maximize Security on Devices
- How to Stay Safe Trick-Or-Treating This Year
- How to Stay Safe on Social Media
- 5 Tips on How You Can Be #CyberAware
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015