Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
When planning for hurricane season, one thing many people forget to prepare is their vehicles. Your vehicle is a significant investment, which means it’s essential to protect it just as you would your other assets. This article will provide you with tips you can use to protect your vehicle during the next tropical storm or hurricane.
Tips To Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- Car Maintenance
Keeping up with vehicle maintenance throughout the year is essential. If it’s been a while since you have had routine maintenance done on your car, take the time to do a basic check yourself, or bring your vehicle to a trusted mechanic. Make a point to check your car’s fluid levels including its oil, transmission, brake, power steering, coolant, and windshield wiper fluid. Additionally, check your car’s tire pressure, battery, AC and heating units, and belts.
- Keep Your Car Fueled
Don’t let yourself get in the habit of letting your gas tank go down to empty, especially if you know a hurricane or tropical storm is looming. Waiting until the last minute to fill up your tank will result in having to pay a higher price for gas. You may even miss out entirely on being able to fill your car up due to a gas shortage. If you live in an area that has frequent evacuations, make sure always to have a gas canister handy. You never know what the fuel supply will be like on your evacuation route.
- Make An Emergency Kit
Having an emergency kit is essential. Some items you will want to have in your kit include:
~First-aid kits and any medication family members and pets may need
~ Ponchos for every family member
~ Blankets for every family member and pet
~ Battery-powered fans
~Non-perishable food items
~ Portable water and water purification tablets
~ Radio with spare batteries
The Department of Homeland Security has some additional ideas to help you create the best car hurricane emergency kit possible.
- Stay Up-To-Date
Make sure you are up-to-date with current evacuation routes. Also, keep a radio with extra batteries in your car to ensure you have the option to listen to weather updates wherever you go.
- Park Safely
If you are forced to leave your vehicle behind when you evacuate, make sure to find a safe location to park your car. If you have a lot of clutter in your garage, take the time now to clear a space for your vehicle. If this is not feasible, make sure there is a location that is a safe distance away from trees, phone lines, signage, loose debris, and light poles. Before leaving make sure to have a tarp on hand to protect your car from scratches.
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- Top 4 Car Buying Mistakes To Avoid
- Why Car Loan Rate & Term Matter
- 7 Tips For First Time Car Buyers
- The Difference Between Secured And Unsecured Loans
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015