Mortgage Refinancing: Crash Course
The main reason that many people decide to refinance their home loan is to lower the interest rate or payments, change the term, or to get the loan paid off faster. Regardless of your reason, this post will provide you with good insight into mortgage refinancing to help determine if it is a good option for you.
Mortgage Refinancing Basics
Mortgage refinancing helps homeowners to meet their goals in terms of lowering interest rates, improving the term or the loan, or building equity at a faster rate. When you refinance your home loan, your new mortgage lender pays off your mortgage with your other financial institution, and replaces it with a new mortgage.
It is important to keep in mind that a mortgage refi is different from a second mortgage. With a second mortgage you are taking out another loan in addition to your current mortgage. With a second mortgage you are
able to access the equity you have built in your home, while using your house as collateral. Equity is the difference between the appraised value of your property and the outstanding principle balance owed on it.
Four Benefits Of Refinancing A Mortgage
- Refinancing your mortgage can help you obtain a better rate. With a lower interest rate you may be able to obtain lower payments. If you are able to obtain a lower interest rate, you will end up paying less for your home.
- You can own your home sooner. By refinancing your mortgage you may be able to shorten the term. For instance, if you have a 30-year loan, refinancing it to a 15-year term means you will own your home and build equity more quickly.
- You may be able to switch from an adjustable rate to a fixed rate.
- You may receive better, personalized service.
Should I Refinance My Home Loan?
Before deciding if you should refinance your home loan, consider utilizing a Mortgage Refinancing Calculator to determine if a refinance could save you time and money. Then ask yourself:
- What is my credit score?
Your credit score is a very important factor that financial institutions take into consideration when you apply to refinance your home. The better your credit score, the more chance you will have at obtaining a good interest rate. To find out what elements make up your credit score, click here.
- What are my long-term financial goals?
Before you decide to refinance your home, make sure that you have a clear purpose.
- Is refinancing an affordable option for me?
Keep in mind that there are costs associated with mortgage refinancing such as closing costs. Refinancing can save you a lot of money in the long run, just make sure that you are aware of the initial expenses.
© Copyright 2016 Launch Federal Credit Union. All Rights Reserved
- Best Places To Watch A Launch On The Space Coast
- 10 Tips To Prepare For Tax Season
- How To Raise A Money Smart Kid
- How to Avoid Bad Check Scams
- 9 Frugal Family & Date Night Ideas!
- 8 Ways to Jump Start Your 2020 Financial Resolutions
- 8 Easy Ways to Avoid Holiday Travel Stress
- 4 Tips On Snagging a Lower Interest Rate Mortgage
- 7 Tips for Avoid Cyber Criminals on Cyber Monday
- Avoid Gift Card Scams This Holiday Season
- Make Your Auto Loan Process Seamless: Here’s What You Need to Refinance!
- If It Connects, Protect It: Maximize Security on Devices
- How to Stay Safe Trick-Or-Treating This Year
- How to Stay Safe on Social Media
- 5 Tips on How You Can Be #CyberAware
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015