Be Smart About Your Gift Cards
You probably got one or two gift cards as a holiday gift this season. Gift cards are great because you can use them however you wish, and get exactly what you want. While gift cards may seem like the perfect gift, they also come with some potential risks and costs.
4 Things To Keep In Mind When Getting Or Receiving A Gift Card
First, check to see if you gift card has any fees. For instance, if you plan to give a gift card as a gift, you may be charged a fee for purchasing the actual card. If you are the recipient of a gift card, be aware that you may incur fees each time you use the card at a store or restaurant. In addition, you may be charged a fee for not using the card. Make sure that you read the vendor’s policies before you activate your card. You don’t want to go to use it, and have nothing left due to inactivity fees.
Second, check for an expiration date on your card. Many of us just assume that gift cards never expire; however, this is the case for certain types of cards. You don’t want to simply put your gift cards away and forget about them, because if you let them expire you could lose the entire balance on the card. That means you’ll be left empty handed.
Third, make sure to always report a lost or stolen gift card to the card issuer right away. Certain companies will replace a lost or stolen card. You want to report your card the minute you notice it is missing to hopefully stop any fraudulent activity on it.
Lastly, if you have a problem with a gift card that you can’t solve by talking to a store employee, think about contacting your state government’s consumer protection office. You can find this number by doing a simple Google search.
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- Top 4 Car Buying Mistakes To Avoid
- Why Car Loan Rate & Term Matter
- 7 Tips For First Time Car Buyers
- The Difference Between Secured And Unsecured Loans
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015