Volunteering: Essential For Your Future
If you are currently in high school, or getting ready to enter high school next year, you may be strongly encouraged, or even required to conduct volunteer work before you graduate. Many high schools have volunteer hour requirements that have to be met before you are able to graduate. Trying to find time to volunteer while juggling school work and other after-school activities can seem daunting, but keep in mind, volunteering can be very rewarding.
Volunteering can help you in multiple ways:
- Help With Scholarships: Certain scholarships, such as Florida’s Bright Futures Scholarship requires completion of volunteer time. The Gold Seal Vocational Scholars Award requires you to complete 30 hours of documented community service. The Florida Medallion Scholars Award requires you to conduct 75 hours of community service, and the Florida Academic Scholars Award requires 100 hours of community service. There are organizations that award college scholarships based on community service such as: The Bonner Foundation, Do Something, Comcast, Disabled American Veterans, and others.
- Help With College Admission: No matter how involved you are in extra-curricular activities, college admissions still care about your grades, so it is of utmost importance to keep up with your grades. Colleges also want to see that prospective students are well-rounded. This means they will look beyond your academic record and into volunteering activities. Volunteering can communicate to colleges that you have organizational leadership and teamwork skills.
When you start looking for a volunteering opportunity, try to find something that is in line with your interests, passions, or future career path. If you are interested in becoming a lawyer or a police officer, consider the Teen Court in Brevard County where students act as attorneys, clerks, bailiffs, and/or jurors in real trials. If you has a passion for animals, consider volunteering at a veterinary office or the SPCA. If healthcare is of interest to you, a hospital can provide you with many great opportunities to get your foot in the door. Halifax Regional Hospital’s Junior Volunteer Program allows high school students between the ages of 14 and 18 to experience work in a healthcare facility. Other hospitals have similar programs. If you enjoy politics, consider volunteering for your favorite candidate. There are as many volunteer opportunities as there are interests.
In Order To Be Successful:
- Be Dedicated: If you make a commitment, always show up. You are there to help, not goof off.
- Be Professional: You will be working with people who have chosen this path as their life’s work. Be serious about your role.
- Be Realistic: If you are very busy during the school week, consider a volunteer opportunity that you can do on the weekends, or maybe even once per month.
- Stick With One Or Two Organizations: Volunteering can be even more rewarding if you take the time to get to know the staff and the cause of the organization.
Volunteering gives you an opportunity to impact the lives of others. It’s a way to make a positive impact on the world around you, and actually see the benefits your work has produced. You will be surprised by all the rewards you will receive from simply helping others.
- 7 Tips For Donating to a Charity
- 8 Tips for Creating Account Passwords
- 5 Tips to Prepare for a Hurricane
- 6 Tips for Back to School
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- September 2019
- August 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015