Your Identity Is Yours, Protect It!
According to CNN Money, every two seconds another American falls victim to identity theft. USA Today advises that Florida alone reported 37,059 identity theft complaints in 2014. That is 186.3 per 100,000 people, making Florida the state with the second largest amount of identity theft complaints in the entire United States.
According to USA Today in Florida there are:
- 3 identity theft complaints per 100,000 people
- 200,392 total complaints (second highest in the nation)
Why is Florida such a target? USA Today advises that Florida’s senior population has made it especially vulnerable to identity theft and fraud. In fact, 1 in every 100 residents is affected by identity theft or fraud in Florida, making it the highest rate in the entire nation.
Resources To Help Prevent Identity Theft
- Identity Guard: An identity theft protection company that offers innovative solutions to help protect its customers’ financial information, public records, personal data, computer, etc.
- LifeLock: An American Identity theft protection company that is located in Tempe, Arizona that provides proactive identity theft protection.
- ID Cuffs: Provides its customers with comprehensive identity theft protection that includes: anti-virus and spyware protection, bank account security alerts, college student protection, credit bureau fraud alerts, free annual credit reports, victim restoration assistance, stop telemarketing calls, and much more.
- Identity Lookout: Provides its customers with Experian credit report, daily credit monitoring, fraud resolution assistance, email alerts of key changes, and much more.
- Identity Force: Offers Identity Protection for as little as $14.95 month, and also offers a free ®trial.
For a complete list of the top identity theft protection services of 2015 with reviews and product comparisons, click here.
What You Can Do To Prevent Identity Theft
The FTC provides a number of tips on its website to help you prevent falling victim to identity theft.
1. Protect your social security number. Do not carry your social security number in your wallet, or write it on a check. Only provide your social security number when absolutely necessary.
2. Shred your mail to avoid mail fraud. Launch FCU offers free professional Shred Days at various branches by Progressive Document Destruction. Keep an eye out for our next free shred day on our Website.
4. Make sure to create difficult passwords with various upper and lower-case letters, special characters, numbers, etc.
5. Always verify a source before sharing financial or other sensitive information
6. Store your sensitive information in secure locations, where guests or thieves are not able to access them.
For more information on how to prevent identity theft, and how to detect identity theft visit the FTC website.
© Copyright 2015 Launch Federal Credit Union. All Rights Reserved
- Should You Buy A New Or Old Home?
- Will Refinancing Your Auto Loan Hurt Your Credit Score?
- How To Do Valentine’s Day On A Budget
- Top 5 Ways To Save For A Car
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Finances In 2019
- 4 Best Ways To Budget For A Baby
- How To Overcome Impulse Purchases
- What Items Should You Inspect When Buying A House?
- How To Save Money On Holiday Shopping In 2019
- Four Ways A Personal Loan Can Help You Through A Difficult Time
- What Is Credit Utilization & How Does It Impact Credit Score?
- Why You Should Consider Refinancing Your Car Loan
- 5 Boat Buying Tips For A First Time Buyer
- Top 8 First Time RV Buyer Mistakes To Avoid
- 4 Tips To Help You Save Money This Halloween
- Prepare Your Vehicle For Hurricane Season
- Top 4 Car Buying Mistakes To Avoid
- Why Car Loan Rate & Term Matter
- 7 Tips For First Time Car Buyers
- The Difference Between Secured And Unsecured Loans
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015