Here are a few tips:
- Be alert: Observe the surroundings for any suspicious persons, vehicles or circumstances. Make sure the ATM is in a visible spot and that it’s well-lit if you’re using it at night.
- Be prepared: Have everything you need out and ready. Your transaction will be faster and safer.
- Be courteous: If the ATM is in use, don’t stand directly behind the person using the machine.
- Better safe than sorry: Never begin your transaction if a stranger has a clear view of the ATM keyboard or if you see a suspicious person or vehicle loitering. In either case, leave the area immediately and consider contacting law enforcement.
- Leave quickly: Once you’ve successfully completed your ATM transaction, leave. Do not count or otherwise visually expose any cash.
- Be Mindful of ATM Skimmers: Review our blog post to learn how to identify and avoid ATM skimmers.